The NBCC Foundation is pleased to announce the 2021 rural scholarships for students pursuing a career in professional counseling. The rural scholarships were created to increase the number of counselors available to serve people in rural areas.
These scholarships provide financial support to students who are currently enrolled in a Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)-accredited counseling master’s program, live in a rural area, and commit to serve rural populations within one year of graduation for the duration of a minimum of at least two years post-graduation.
Five scholarships in the amount of $8,000 are available.
- Applicants must be enrolled, full time in a CACREP-accredited counseling master’s program.
- Applicants must reside in a rural area as defined by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
- Applicants must be currently enrolled full time for the fall 2021 semester and be in good standing in a CACREP-accredited counseling master’s-level program. Applicants must have taken courses during the spring 2021 semester. Applicants may not have a pending status, deferred status, or other future start date for coursework.
- Applicants are expected to graduate by December 31, 2024 (within three years of the date of the scholarship funding).
- Eligible applicants must not have an anticipated program completion date before September 1, 2022, which will be verified in writing by their academic department prior to the awarding of funds.
- Applicants must commit to becoming board certified by applying for the National Certified Counselor (NCC) certification prior to graduation and to completing the application process.
- Applicants must commit to providing mental health services in a rural area within one year of graduation and for the duration of a minimum of at least two years post-graduation.
To check the CACREP status of a program, search the CACREP website.
The application opens May 15, 2021, and the application deadline is July 31, 2021 at 11:59 pm EDT.
Scholarship awardees will be announced by the end of October 2021.
For questions, please review our Frequently Asked Questions , call 336-232-0376, or e-mail email@example.com. If you experience any issues with the Submittable application platform, please email: Support@submittable.com.